We LOVE the 50 nifty United States of this awesome country and believe each state is special. Every Monday we feature a sandwich unique to its state as part of our “50 Sandwiches, 50 States, 50 Weeks” series beginning with Alabama and ending with Wyoming.
Helloooo Idaho! My potato friend! It was not easy to find a sandwich for you but I did see this sandwich is on the menu of a Idahoan restaurant somewhere online and thought to myself, Y-U-M! You don’t have to be fancy to be good- or all that original. Putting your own spin on an original, is just fine by me. Sauteed chicken, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, crispy BACON, and cheese. Mmmm……Melted gooey cheese. Topped on buttery toasted hoagies slathered in Ranch dressing. So many yummy flavors happening you don’t even need a side of chips! Just the sandwich will do. Hello? Stop the madness now!! I’m all over this, and what’s not to love?
After a crazy-fun, non-stop-action, long weekend in the great state of Texas, a missed flight, which resulted in a 6 hour layover in the wonderful airport of Atlanta (not!), which then resulted in a Facebook rant, which meant we didn’t get home until midnight, which makes you question whether you have it in you to ever travel again, I can certainly sink my teeth into this simple sandwich in the comfort of my
bed just kidding, er, home. But seriously, how great is it to get in your own bed after not sleeping in it for days? It’s just the best! I wish I could hang out in it all day today and tomorrow to make up for lost times. Ha!
Surely you know the feeling and don’t think I’m some weird lay-around-in-bed-all day freak. And if you do, no biggie. Your day will come, friend ;).
- 2 tsps. each black pepper, garlic powder, salt
- 1 lb. chicken breast, sliced thin across the grain
- 5 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Butter at room temperature
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Ranch dressing
- Mix black pepper, garlic powder and salt together in a small bowl and sprinkle all over the chicken slices.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet on medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain the fat, leaving enough to coat the pan and add chicken. Cook until done, but not browned, then transfer it to a plate.
- Add bell pepper slices. Saute about 3-4 minutes, adding oil or bacon grease as needed.
- Add onion and mushroom slices. Saute about 6-8 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. Sprinkle with salt.
- Return bacon and chicken to the pan and add Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Heat oven broiler and place rack in the middle.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the chicken mixture and reduce heat to low. Don't mix or stir, you just want to melt the cheese.
- Butter the hoagie rolls and place in the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes or so until browned. Keep an eye on them because they will brown quickly.
- Once the cheese has melted, spoon mixture on to rolls and top with ranch dressing.