Roasted Cauliflower with Curried Cashew Cilantro Pesto. Whoa!
Remember when mom or some other wise person said “don’t judge a book by it’s cover?” Well keep this in mind as you’re looking at the pictures of this recipe, as I realize it looks a little bit like… Eeek! Actually, it looks a bit like broccoli gone wrong. Yikes!
But before you run away screaming, please realize that green stuff you see is a delicious, savory, curried, garlic, cilantro cashew pesto that is out-of-this-world amazing that totally makes me wanna eat cauliflower by the bowlful!
Which is weird for me. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a cauliflower fan. Meh. I mean I don’t dislike it, but I’m not one to put a head of cauliflower on the shopping list. I did make this really delicious, low cal Easy, Cheesy, Potato, Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup, but that’s not the same as “I’ll have a side of cauliflower, please.” Know what I mean? That changes now.
Roasted cauliflower has such a wonderful flavor; so much better than boiled. Now I can eat roasted cauliflower with a dash of salt and pepper any day, but when you add this pesto….. Pow! Boom! Bam! Love! Oh how I love cilantro!! And cashews!! And olive oil!!! And the hint of Indian spices just take this to a whole other flava-flav level!! I love creating new ways to use all those delicious spices in my Indian Spice Kit because Indian spices…. we’ll they’re just awesome!
Now if only I could photograph pesto cauliflower that looked as good as it tastes! Grrr!
- 1 (2 lb.) head cauliflower, cut into even florets (about 6 cups)
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil
- Salt (1/8 tsp.) Black Pepper (1/16 tsp. or pinch)
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ tsps. (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. each garam masala, salt
- ¼ tsp. each Indian chili powder or cayenne, turmeric
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower florets in a 9 x 13 in backing pan and toss with 3 Tbsps. olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 15-18 minutes stirring half way (I roasted mine 18 minutes).
- While the cauliflower roasts, make the pesto by combining all the ingredients in a food processor and blending. You may want to keep a few of the cashew chunky for added crunchiness.
- Toss pesto into roasted cauliflower. Garnish with cilantro and cashew pieces.