Ramen noodles with scrambled eggs, garlic, sriracha, hoisin, and soy sauce with fresh herbs and crunchy peppers? You betcha!
This is one of those dishes that came to me when I needed dinner NOW! And “NOW” meant and hour prior. And “NOW” meant with whatever I had in the pantry and fridge. And “NOW”also meant, in like, 15 minutes or major crankiness was going to set in! Ooops! did I just say that out loud? Ever have one of those “feed me now” moments? I’d be willing to bet you have and they require immediate action!
I knew I had ramen in the pantry and that takes a whopping 120 seconds to cook. Check, fast. And eggs. I love eggs. Protein is a definite yes. Check, fast. This sauce? This check fast sauce isn’t real saucy but it’s got “shut the front door” flava flav so I didn’t feel the need to drown the ramen in it. A little sweet, salty, and a lot spicy. Sriracha is my new best condiment friend and hoisin is a close second. If you are unfamiliar with these two sauces, I recommend you run out a grab them asap. But first take a peak at my Ginger Hoisin Chicken as another way to use hoisin to add a little variety to your chicken routine. I’ll take another helping, please.
Oh wait, we’re talking ramen…. So while I waited for the water to begin boiling, I had a chance to prep the other stuff: like mix the sauce, mince the red pepper, chop the green onion, pick cilantro leaves, and chop a little basil. Now before we move on, I have a huge favor to ask…. Promise to ignore the package instructions and boil the ramen 2 minutes and not a second more? Oh you do? Great! Otherwise it’ll just turn into a mushy mess and you won’t be happy. And promise me you’ll drain them in a colander and run cold water over them so they quit cooking and spray a little oil on them and give ’em a good toss so they don’t get sticky? So that was really two favors.
Now you’re ready to cook your eggs and garlic, toss everything together and dinner is served! NOW!
P.S. This is totally customizable. Add mushrooms, peas, carrots, whatever you like
- 4 pkgs. any flavor ramen noodles, do not use seasoning packet.
- 3 Tbsps. oil or butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsps. garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsps. less sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha (rooster) hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ small red bell pepper, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook ramen noodles 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water and spray with oil, mixing around. Set aside.
- While waiting for the water to boil, mix sauce ingredients and chop garnishments. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan or skillet heat oil on medium heat and add garlic and eggs. Move everything around, breaking up the yolk and combining with the garlic. Cook until eggs are done.
- Add ramen noodles and sauce. Mix until sauce and eggs are well combined and the noodles are hot.
- Top with garnishments.