An easy chocolate cake recipe is a must as far as I’m concerned; it’s like having that black dress in the closet for a woman. When you need to put a quick dessert together, you can always fall back on this classic original to get you through. It can be dressed up or dressed down and then taken out on the town!
My family always refers to this recipe as “chocolate dump cake.” I’m not sure if that’s a common term in kitchens across America or just some quirky thing that originated in my neck of the woods, but it goes quite a long way in describing the simplicity of this cake: you just dump everything in a bowl, mix it up and bake it. Done. This recipe came directly from my grandmother’s little green cookbook and it makes me think of her every time I smell that wonderful chocolate aroma coming from the oven.
This cake has such a smooth, rich chocolate flavor, I just like to sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top for show and then slice it up. Yet you can get as creative as you would like with it and make it your own. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth
- Grease a tube pan or 9½" X 11" glass baking dish and pour in cake batter
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.