Easy weeknight dinner comin’ atchya!
This is a recipe that I never intended including on the blog, but Gary and I like it so much we decided to share the recipe and it’s becoming something I’ve been turning to often. It started like the Spicy Sriracha, Hoisin, and Garlic Ramen: I’m hungry NOW what can I whip up FAST? It seems like any time I’m cooking on the fly, I end up incorporating sriracha sauce in the recipe. Hmmmmm…. Wonder what that’s all about. Is it just because I LOVE it so much or does the hot sauce have some magical powers over me when I’m starving? I think it’s both.
On a side note: Good news! The city or Irwindale, CA dropped all charges against David Tran, the owner of the company that makes the magical rooster sauce. For those of you that aren’t on the up and up on the ordeal, you can read more about it in my Tandoori Sriracha Chicken Skewers post. What does this good news mean to you and me? We don’t have to worry about a sriracha sauce shortage and production will remain a go!
So back to this recipe… This recipe only has 6 ingredients (ok I’m not including the salt, pepper and butter as ingredients) and has a so-light-you-can-barely-see-it creamy sauce that won’t weigh you down. Buttery mushrooms? Yes, please. And like the sauce, the ‘shrooms are on the lighter side too using only 1 Tbsp. of butter.
And of course the rooster sauce. It shines through, in a subtle way. I didn’t add onion or garlic to this like I normally would. The sriracha has garlic and vinegar and I didn’t want to compete with that flavor- and I was hungry and didn’t want to bother with them. Toss all this yumminess with lean ground turkey, egg noodles and creamy pepper jack cheese and whoa yea, this is good! It’s got just enough heat to linger a bit but not so much that I need a glass of milk or water. Not even close. Gary and I ate this right from the pot. I know that’s incredibly tacky, but it’s just the two of us so sometimes the food never makes it to the plate! Don’t judge 😉
- 1 (8 oz.) package of white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- 1½ cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4-5 tsps. sriracha hot sauce
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- Heat butter In a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and stir around for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms are coated in the butter. Saute another 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms are cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate.
- Begin boiling a large pot of water.
- While the water is heating, add the turkey to the skillet and cook and crumble until browned, about 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat and return mushrooms to the skillet.
- When the water boils add egg noodles and cook 3-4 minutes until noodles are cooked but not overcooked.
- Reserve 1 cup of the noodle water and drain the rest returning the noodles to the pot.
- Stir in shredded cheese adding a little reserved water, about ¼ cup. Mix until the cheese melts and combines with the noodles.
- Stir in the sour cream, then stir in the turkey and mushrooms.
- Stir in the sriracha adding more noodle water until you get the desired sauciness. Garnish with cilantro leaves