Ok so we all know we need eat fruits- or at least it’s highly recommended- and the recommendation is at least 5 servings per day. What?! May seem like a lot, but hey it’s fruit, not veggies, and I find it easier for me to get my fruit intake than my vegetable. A serving of fruit is considered about a half cup, so the minimum amount of fruit you should be eating is 2 1/2 cups per day.
Enter dee-lish-us fruit salad, one of my favs, called chaat. This is a chopped fruit salad with walnuts, cilantro, and a fabulous lemon juice dressing with a little sugar, salt, and a hint of Indian spices.
The reason I love this salad sooo much?
1. I love almost any fruit
2. I love how the tangy, sugar, salt, spice dressing adds a unique twist of flavor
3. I love cilantro and walnuts.
Yup. That pretty much sums it up! Sub any other fruits like mango, kiwi, blueberries. The combinations are endless.
And for those of you interested in watching a short Indian Chaat video, here it is.
- 1 orange, peeled, cut bite-size
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced
- 1 apple, cut bite-size
- 1 pear, cut bite-size
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 2 Tbsps. walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsps. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. each cardamom, cumin
- ⅛ tsp. each chili powder
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over fruit and gently mix.