Keema Matar is a mildly spiced, high-protein dish and one of my go-to favorites! I love the flavors and it covers 2 basic food groups: meat and vegetable. Pair it with homemade naan and fruit chaat or a side salad and you’re good to go! Did I mention it’s really easy to make??
Watch the Keema Matar cooking video
- 3 Tbsps. oil
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsps. garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. lean ground chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef
- 2 tsps. each coriander, salt
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. each black pepper, cumin, turmeric
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2-3 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add meat, spices, and salt and cook 5 minutes. Use a potato masher to crumble the meat.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, and peas. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in cilantro and serve.
90% ground beef= 715 calories, 34 grams fat, 65.5 grams protein
ground lamb = 674 calories, 27.1 grams fat, 72 grams protein
ground chicken= 683 calories, 27.3 grams fat, 74 grams protein