Aloo Saag, or saag for short, really takes spinach and potatoes to another level. But let’s get one thing out in the open right now: Saag looks something awful and disgusting…. A green, mushy blob with cubed potatoes. But I will stand on top of the kitchen table and say it from the top of my lungs “give saag a chance!” No, really. You should.
Even if you’re not totally crazy about spinach, you should “give saag a chance.” Why? Because when you cook spinach down in onions, ginger, and garlic…throw in some amazing Indian spices…stir in some cream, yogurt, and butter……oh I almost forgot, potatoes….. OK, I think you’re getting it now…. you’re bound to end up with a tasty meal! Serve aloo saag over basmati rice and with warm naan. You won’t be sorry you did.
P.S. I made this and had a friend over for dinner to try it. After a skeptical first look, she devoured the entire serving, got seconds and demanded that she be invited when I make the chicken version (Murgh Saag). Now that’s a woman that likes saag! Makes me smile
Check out the cooking video for step by step instructions on how to make Aloo Saag
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 lb. (2 medium) potatoes, peeled, cubed bite-size
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 ½ cups onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsps. coriander
- 1 tsp. each cumin, curry powder, salt
- ½ tsp. each chili powder, turmeric
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Open spinach packages to allow venting and place on a plate. Microwave 8 minutes until defrosted. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot bring water to a boil on high heat. Add cubed potatoes and cook half way (parboiled), about 5 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Put defrosted spinach, 1 cup of water, and ½ tsp. of salt in a blender or food processor and blend smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in spices and salt, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and sauté 3 minutes. Add a little water if the spices stick.
- Pour in spinach and mix well with the spices and potatoes. Cover and simmer 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to sit 2-3 minutes. Stir in cream and yogurt.
- Turn heat to medium/low. Cook uncovered 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.