This is one of my all time favorite desserts. Not to mention, it’s really pretty and makes an impressive presentation. I almost hate to cut it…. NOT! I can’t wait to cut into this bad boy!
I’ve always been a bit of a chocoholic so chocolate cake is right up my alley. But this chocolate cake has a special twist: it’s topped with creamy flan, or custard, with a caramel coating that basically acts as the icing. So really what we’ve got here are 2 desserts in one! Despite what may appear to be a complicated process, this recipe is easy. How much better can it get than that?!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix and ingredients according to cake instructions (3 eggs, oil, water)
- ½ cup of jarred caramel
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz. (1/2 block) cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F and put rack in the middle. Oil or spray a large (14.5 cup) Bundt pan.
- Pour caramel in the pan and tilt side to side to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix chocolate cake according to package instructions with an electric mixer and set aside.
- To soften the cream cheese, microwave unwrapped 15 seconds.
- In a blender or food processor blend the 4 eggs, cream cheese, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla to make the flan.
- Pour chocolate cake batter over the caramel.
- Pour flan on top of cake batter. While baking, the flan will sink between the chocolate cake and caramel.
- Place the pan inside a roasting pan or large baking dish. Pour hot water in the roasting pan so it’s 1 inch deep (to make a water bath).
- Cover Bundt pan with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour. Uncover and cook 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove cake from the roasting pan and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Put a large plate or cake plate inverted over the top of the Bundt pan. Grip the two together and flip over. Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled.