For me, one of the best parts of growing up in a family that’s 1/2 Italian is all of the simple and hearty “peasant dishes” (grandma’s term) that were commonplace at dinner time. A meal doesn’t have to be complicated to be good. Period.
Greens and Beans are a primary example of that and one of my favorite dishes, especially on a cold winter night.
Lots of fresh garlic = YUM……
Simple ingredients, easy to prepare and warms the body, heart and soul….does it get much better? I hope you enjoy!
- 2 heads of Escarole greens, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (15.5) oz cans Cannellini beans, drained
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Romano cheese
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Boil escarole for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil on medium heat and saute onions and garlic until onions are translucent. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Turn off heat
- Stir in cannellini beans, escarole, chicken broth, and cheese.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to meet personal tastes
- Serve hot