This recipe came to me because I was trying to think of a way to use some ingredients I had left over from a couple of recipes I made earlier in the week.
I had some Gourmet Garden dill paste and bacon left over from the Alaska crab with brie, bacon and dill mayo sandwich. I also had extra yogurt from the Lebanese Shish Taouk chicken skewers. And being the resourceful gal that I
sometimes am, I threw a quick easy “peas”y (get it?) weeknight dinner together with some macaroni I had in the pantry, and Gary grabbed some havarti cheese and canned chicken from the store. Confession: I love canned chicken with pasta and cheese. It just works!
The end result was full of flavor and CREAMY! The camera just didn’t pick up on the creaminess, I tried. Still learning this photography thing. I will warn you tho, it “sets up” fast so serve immediately! Cover what’s left in the pot. If you don’t want to use the dill paste or fresh dill just use havarti dill cheese. The next day it tasted great too. We both ate it cold right out of the pan. TMI???
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 (16 oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups (12 oz.) havarti cheese, shredded
- 2 (5 oz.) cans white chicken, drained, rinsed
- 1½ tsps. dill paste, or fresh dill
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup yogurt (whole milk)
- Fry bacon until crispy in a frying pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and pour in macaroni and cook according to package instructions.
- Add frozen peas with 4 minutes left to cook (the peas will stop the boiling so you may need to cook a minute or so longer, so taste the pasta as it cooks).
- Once the pasta reaches desired tenderness, drain the pasta and peas.
- Return the peas and pasta back to the pot and add cheese. Cover so it starts to melt, then give it a good stir and blend the cheese.
- Chop the bacon.
- Add chicken, bacon and all other ingredients except the yogurt.
- Gently stir in yogurt and and mix well.
- Turn heat to low and cover to heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.