This is such an easy and flavorful, low cal, high protein dish- chicken on a stick. I like the sounds of that! And I totally heart this recipe. If you can get the chicken marinating before you go to work you will have little left to do when you get home. All you’ll need to do is grill it up. Ladies, who’s with me on the grill? Anyone?
Gary bought me a gas grill for our 10th wedding anniversary and I’m in love. I cannot believe how easy to use it is! Where has my little gas grill been all these years? I know, I know it’s smack dab in the middle of winter and grilling, for most, is a summer thing. But we’re talking like 5 minutes per side so you don’t have to hang outside while these little skewers cook. Aaannnndddd, grilling in the winter helps me cope with it a little more.
Ironically, Gary hates gas grills and refuses to use them. He’s a Weber charcoal man all the way. Make no mistake, if I cook on the gas grill, he’s fine and eats anything I make, . but you won’t catch him cooking on it. Anywaaaays…. if you’re not with me on the grill you can throw your taouk’s in the oven and I’ve also made them on my George Foreman (remember those? does anyone else have one?). I like to eat my shish taouk with a yogurt sauce and pita bread and a side salad or tabbouleh and hummus.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed in 2 inch pieces
- 4 wooden skewers soaked in water
- 1 cup plain yogurt (whole milk)
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 Tbsps. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1½ tsps. salt
- ½ tsp. each baharat, black pepper, oregano
- ¼ tsp. each cayenne, paprika, sumac
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced or grated (optional)
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. each cayenne, mint, salt
- In a large bowl combin0e marinade ingredients and mix smooth. Add chicken and evenly coat the pieces. Cover and refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 425° F or an outdoor grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Thread chicken on skewers and grill 4-5 minutes each side or bake 7 minutes each side or until chicken is done.