Over Christmas we went to Texas to visit family and like anyone who goes to Texas
should would do, we ate some serious Tex-Mex. A visit to our favorite Tex Mex restaurant is what inspired this recipe. Tender, shredded, smokey, beef brisket tacos. Would we expect anything less from Texas?
This dish turned out delicious AND is ridiculously simple to make at home. Not to mention inexpensive…and convenient, especially with our Mexican Spice Kit….and easy to re-purpose into other equally wonderful meals! And when I say other meals, I mean 2 as in brisket and bacon ragu over pasta and brisket barley vegetable soup – 2 completely different, yummy meals with different flavors!
Can you believe we were able to make 3 different meals out of this brisket taco recipe? Yup. We were. We did. And we think that = really, really awesome! So let’s recap. 1 brisket = 3 dinners. YEEESSSS!!!! (
Recipes to those will be up later this week see brisket and bacon ragu over linguine and brisket vegetable barley soup). Of course, only if there actually is any leftover brisket. It’s perfectly acceptable if there is not!
But let’s get right to the brisket tacos, shall we? These are sooo easy as in put-the-meat-in-the-crock-pot-with-liquid-before-work-and-come-home-to-dinner easy. You like that, don’t you? I thought so.
- 5 lbs. beef brisket
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1½ Tbsps. liquid smoke
- ¼ cup liquid from crock pot
- 1½ Tbsps. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsps. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ancho chile powder
- 2½ tsps. salt
- 2 tsps. sugar
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Place brisket, onions, garlic, beef broth, and liquid smoke in a large crock pot. Cover and turn to low. Cook 8 hours.
- Remove brisket and place on a cutting board. Scrape fat off and discard. Shred with two forks.
- In a small bowl whisk together seasoning ingredients and pour over shredded brisket and massage it into the meat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Cover immediately until ready to serve as the meat with cool off very quickly.
- When you're ready to build your tacos, place you meat in the center of your tortilla or taco shell and top with as many or as few toppings as you like.